WHO WE ARE
The Great Outdoors Foundation is Central Iowa’s pathway to sustainable, healthy environments. We are a regional conservation leader and a catalyst for high impact environmental projects. We convene partners with a shared vision, drive collaboration, and raise awareness and funds. Our priority initiatives expand and restore natural spaces, foster outdoor recreation, promote conservation and build passion for nature.
WHAT WE DO
We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to nature by collaborating with other organizations who share a common vision of healthy environments that provide a variety of outdoor recreation and education opportunities. Driven by our clear purpose, we challenge ourselves to seek and take on partner projects offering exceptional and long-term impact requiring a regional approach and creative funding.
Great Outdoors Foundation & ICON Water Trails
Marketing and Communications Manager
Reports to: VP of Donor Relations & Director of ICON Water Trails
Salary Range: $45,000-55,000
Application Deadline: May 31, 2022
Send resumes to email@example.com
The Great Outdoors Foundation is seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager for a shared position with ICON Water Trails.
The Great Outdoors Foundation is a non-profit that provides funding for outdoor recreation and conservation projects in Central Iowa. The Great Outdoors Foundation is Central Iowa’s pathway to sustainable, healthy environments. We are a regional conservation leader and catalyst for high-impact, environmental projects. We convene partners with a shared vision, drive collaboration and raise awareness and funds. Driven by our clear purpose, we challenge ourselves to seek and take on partner projects offering exceptional and long-term impact requiring a regional approach and creative funding.
Iowa Confluence Water Trails — ICON, for short — will connect 80+ improvements across 150 miles of rivers and creeks in Central Iowa. Initiated by the Central Iowa Water Trails Consortium, including Capital Crossroads, Catch Des Moines, the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, Des Moines Area MPO, Greater Des Moines Partnership and the Great Outdoors Foundation, ICON represents a new commitment to water safety and conservation as well as a concerted effort to drive economic development, visitor attraction and workforce retention.
PUPROSE OF POSITION
The Marketing and Communications Manager for the Great Outdoors Foundation serves as the point person for all marketing and communication initiatives for the Great Outdoors Foundation and serves as lead staff for marketing and communications purposes for ICON Water Trails. This individual reports to the Great Outdoors Foundation VP of Donor Relations and the Director of ICON Water Trails.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and maintain integrated communications strategy
- Strategize, develop and execute editorial and social media calendar
- Maintain website copy and content to ensure updated and relevant information
- Coordinate, promote, and execute community outreach programming and special events
- Serve as event lead for all events, including, but not limited to: event production, design and theme of event, website content, social media integration, event promotion
- Manage relationships with vendors and sub-contractors, can be, but not limited to, video contractors, event contractors, graphic designers
- Create and edit content for websites, newsletters, news releases, blogs, articles, social media, annual reports, video and advertising and marketing materials
- Gather information by interviewing others and/or receiving rough drafts from others to write and/or edit articles for newsletters, and informational brochures
- Measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns, including email newsletters, and website and social media metrics, and assess against goals
- Edit and type speeches and talking points for staff members
- Lead ICON Water Trails and Great Outdoors Foundation Marketing Committees
- Actively work to employ strategies that support the organizational goals of ICON Water Trails and Great Outdoors Foundation
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of public relations; press release and scriptwriting experience desired;
- Content development experience for newsletter and blogging purposes required;
- Basic graphic design experience required, including Adobe Creative Suite;
- Event planning experience required;
- Deep understanding of social media platforms, social media marketing strategies, and best practices and trends;
- Ability to write with correct grammar, spelling, tense and punctuation;
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language;
- Ability to organize and schedule work to meet deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working, relationships with other divisions, public officials and private executives, the general public and news media;
- Ability to react quickly and effectively;
- Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written procedures and/or oral instructions;
- Ability to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, website design and content management software, and social media outlets and apps;
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude in all meetings and relations with donors.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of experience preferred in marketing, social media, project management, event planning and basic graphic design. Qualified candidates must be self-starters that are detail oriented, flexible and comfortable in a fast paced, constant change environment. Candidates must have the ability to think quick and creatively. A strong sense of cooperation and strong communication skills are necessary.
Working and Behavioral Conditions:
This organization offers a flexible hybrid work environment with specific mandatory days in office. Half-day Fridays are offered. This is an energic work environment that requires flexibility.
The physical and mental demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential job results. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job results.